Summary of Position
Viela Bio is looking for a talented and highly motivated Head of Sales. This role will be responsible for planning, building and leading a first-class national sales force, which will possess the experience and capabilities required to realize commercial goals and success for Viela Bio. Specifically, this role will be instrumental in leading a sales team that will be dedicated to the successful launch and commercialization of inebilizumab. This individual will provide strong leadership and direction to maximize business opportunities, work collaboratively with other key functions to address customer needs and play a key leadership role in planning and executing product launch, commercialization and life cycle strategies and the implementation of marketing plans.
Initial responsibilities will include determining the optimal sales force size, structure and goals, the analysis and design of the territory maps, hiring Regional Managers and Sales Representatives, and aid in the design of compensation and call plans. After the initial development stage, the role will focus on providing strong leadership and direction to maximize national business opportunities and work collaboratively with other key functions including Market Access, Medical Affairs, patient services, reimbursement, and other commercial teams to achieve desired results through clear direction, active communication, coaching and the creation of a shared vision.
- Design, build, and lead a sales organization to assure that appropriate levels of talent are positioned to execute business plans and commercial strategy.
- Identify, develop, implement and communicate a framework of goals and tactics that will result in a first-class sales organization.
- Work collaboratively with Marketing leadership to ensure that Sales and Marketing strategies are being fully communicated to Sales teams and executed according to plan and that field insights on the effectiveness of the strategies are conveyed back to the Marketing and commercial management teams.
- Effectively manage profit and loss accountability for the Sales organization to meet targeted budgets as well as proper resourcing.
- Work collaboratively to establish quarterly and annual national sales objectives and compensation targets and ensure that these objectives are met.
- Foster innovation and breakthrough thinking in sales approaches and practices.
- Counsel, motivate, and coach sales managers and sales representatives.
- Exercise sound judgment and ensure integrity and compliance with company policies in all activities and communications.
Desired Skills and Experiences:
- 15 years experience in the pharmaceutical/bio-pharmaceutical industry with a minimum of 5 years experience with the management of a specialty/rare disease sales force is required.
- Proven track record of launch success in competitive markets.
- Experience leading the commercialization of specialty bio-pharmaceutical products is required; orphan drug experience is preferred. Ideally will have had experience building a sales force in anticipation of an initial product launch
- Superior leadership skills and the ability to keep the team focused on the key metrics that drive success.
- Experience establishing and growing sales organizations and demonstrated track record of coaching and developing next-generation leaders
- Proven ability, as supported by superior product/portfolio performance, to translate business goals into specific objectives and team development.
- Possesses analytical, strategic, business planning, communication, and teamwork/collaboration skills.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, the ability to foster relationships, and the ability to develop innovative ideas and solutions.
- Strong understanding of healthcare regulatory and enforcement environments.
- Bachelor’s degree in life science and/or business; Masters is strongly preferred