Summary of Position:
Viela Bio is looking for a talented and highly motivated Bioinformatics Scientist to pursue a research program in collaboration with the diverse Viela Bio Research and Development team with the goal of developing therapies for autoimmune diseases, and targeting those therapies to the appropriate patient population. S/He will translate complex molecular data into useful therapeutics and biomarkers. A successful candidate will work with interdisciplinary teams including discovery, biomarker, clinical, biostatistics, and bioinformatics scientists, and will carry out data analysis and integration across various domains. Regular publication of scientific or methodological papers is an important component of this position. Success critically depends on an ability to effectively present complex techniques and results in a clear and concise manner to a diverse audience of scientists.
- Collaborate with world class research scientists to expedite scientific research for target identification, disease mechanism understanding, patient stratification and clinical biomarker discovery through computational & data mining approaches.
- Partner with discovery research & clinical scientists to identify genes and pathways operant in human diseases through interrogation of complex multi-omics data sets generated from clinical samples.
- Provide computational solutions and conducting computational research for immunology discovery and translational programs.
- Manage sample and testing vendor contracts and relationships.
- Identify pharmacodynamic, mechanistic and predictive biomarkers using integrated analysis of genomics, proteomic, cellular and clinical data sets.
- Conceive informatics analysis strategy and independently execute bioinformatics analysis that support discovery and pre-clinical studies such as new target identification and biomarker development.
Education and Minimal Requirements:
BS/MS/PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or Biological Sciences with strong quantitative background, involving the analysis of large scale complex data such as next generation sequencing, microarray etc. with at least 10-12+ (BS), 8-10+(MS), or 0-4+ (PhD) years of experience.
- Deep understanding of relevant concepts in both autoimmune disease and Computational Biology.
- You have extensive experience in the use of a high-level programming language such as R, MATLAB, Python or Perl for complex data analysis.
- You are passionate about applying your skills in genomics analysis to utilize bioinformatics methods (e.g. from Bioconductor) to understand the biology of disease.
- You have exceptionally strong communication, data presentation and visualization skills.
- Experienced computational biologist with deep disease knowledge and track record of functioning well in a cross-functional environment.
- Hands on experience in genomics and genetic database mining, data analyses using existing and custom pipelines are required.
- Experience supporting immunology research is highly desired.
- Knowledge in relevant tools and databases and experience in developing custom computational analysis pipeline leveraging these resources is highly preferred.
- Working experience with relational database (Oracle, MySQL, PostgresSQL) is required.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and organization skills are required.