Job Ref ID: 2019-049
Summary of Position
Viela Bio is looking for a talented and highly motivated Director/Senior Director, Business Development. As part of the Business Development (BD) and Operations team, this individual will be responsible for supporting structuring, negotiating and executing a range of business development and corporate transactions, including collaborations, licenses, partnerships and other agreements. These are all aimed at helping Viela Bio develop achieve its corporate, scientific, portfolio, strategic and operational objectives. This individual will report to the Head of Business Development and Operations.
- Contributing to and communicating business development strategy, progress and key issues to various stakeholder audiences in a concise manner.
- Implementing business and corporate development strategies and supporting/leading transactions.
- Soliciting internal feedback on deal issues and ensuring feedback is incorporated into deal documents in a manner that addresses Viela Bio’s business needs.
- Actively tracking issues in deal documents, developing thoughtful solutions and assisting and/or leading in the negotiating of these issues.
- Helping to develop negotiation strategy and leading or supporting counterparty negotiations.
- Preparing supporting documentation for transactions (including external presentations, opportunity reports, management presentations and other deal communication materials).
- Develop and maintain business relationships with key external collaborators in the academic, research, biotechnology, pharmaceutical and venture communities.
- Working with the other part of team to identify and evaluate potential opportunities and providing guidance on deal-related communications/aspects of the early outreach phase.
- Supporting due diligence efforts by managing workstreams and reviewing relevant counterparty materials.
- Ad hoc supports to or lead of other business development and operation initiatives/tasks as needed.
- Travel required.
Desired Skills & Experience
- 10+ years business development experience, preferably in biotech; deal sheet record demonstrating experience and specific roles, with hands on experiences supporting/leading transactions.
- Advanced degree required.
- In-depth knowledge of the drug research and development process and the regulatory, reimbursement and commercial environments.
- Ability to simplify complex ideas/concepts and synthesize and summarize a complex set of facts.
- Ability to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Adept at handling multiple projects and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment while maintaining attention to detail.
- Comfortable reading, understanding and manipulating complex legal agreements.
- Ability to work cross-functionally within and beyond the BD organization: experience working with both internal and external multidisciplinary teams including R&D, Commercial, Legal, IP, Finance and Operations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to “think on your feet”.
- High emotional intelligence and ability to forge relationships internally, as well as externally.
- Able to excel in a very fast-paced and changing environment.
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious inflammatory and autoimmune diseases.
Education & Minimal Requirement
PhD in science or MBA preferred.
Please click HERE to submit your resume and cover letter. (Make sure to click Upload button on bottom left after your file selections)