Job Ref ID: 2019-096
Summary of Position
Viela Bio is looking for a talented and highly motivated Senior Manager/Associate Director, Business Development. As part of the Business Development (BD) team, this individual will be responsible for building the early-stage Viela R&D portfolio through in-licensing and other types of partnerships as well as other BD activities. S/he will work with the BD team to structure, negotiate, and execute a range of business development transactions, including collaborations, licenses, partnerships and other agreements all aimed at helping Viela Bio develop and achieve its scientific portfolio and strategic objectives.
- Support the growth of Viela Bio’s R&D pipeline by working with the BD team to identify, structure, negotiate and execute various BD transactions, including collaborations, licenses, partnerships and other agreements.
- Lead the search-and-evaluation process to identify new opportunities and high-impact science across academic centers and biotechnology companies; proactively source, evaluate and prioritize scientific partnering opportunities and bring them forward for internal decision-making.
- Develop and maintain business relationships with key external collaborators in the academic, research, biotechnology, pharmaceutical and venture communities. Leverage his/her scientific network to identify opportunities in areas of interest to Viela Bio’s strategy.
- Facilitate scientific evaluations by leading cross-functional efforts that include other Viela business units (e.g. research, clinical, regulatory, CMC, commercial, legal, finance). Work closely with the research and clinical teams to understand and align on R&D strategy and direction.
- Support due diligence efforts by managing workstreams and reviewing relevant counterparty materials.
- Support preparation of presentation materials, reports, and updates for senior management briefings. Communicate deal strategy, progress and key issues to various stakeholder audiences.
- Review and manage contracts and other legal deal documents. Develop thoughtful solutions to issues and play a key role in negotiations. Work with legal during contract review and execution.
- Travel required.
Desired Skills & Experience
- 8+ years of business development or related experience, preferably in biotech; deal sheet demonstrating experience and specific roles.
- In-depth knowledge of drug R&D process and regulatory, reimbursement and commercial environments.
- Scientific understanding of, and experience in, the immune biology space.
- Strong scientific and industry network and proven ability to forge professional relationships.
- Adept at handling multiple projects and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment while maintaining attention to detail.
- Comfortable reading, understanding and manipulating complex legal agreements.
- Ability to work cross-functionally within and beyond the BD organization: experience working with internal and external multidisciplinary teams (e.g. R&D, commercial, legal, Finance and Ops).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to “think on your feet”.
- Able to excel in a very fast-paced and changing environment, and a desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious inflammatory and autoimmune diseases.
Education & Minimal Requirement
Advanced degree required, PhD and/or MBA.
Please click HERE to submit your resume and cover letter. (Make sure to click Upload button on bottom left after your file selections)